US: +1 512 898-9222
SG: +65 3138-4148
INDIA IVD PRODUCT REGISTRATION
IVD product registration in India is overseen by the Central Drugs Standard Control Organization (CDSCO). The new Medical Device Rules, 2017 significantly expands the number of IVD devices requiring full technical documentation in support of their registration applications. Formerly only the critical IVD devices required registration with complete device master file, prior to being placed on the market in India. Under the new Rules, a risk-based classification is provided for IVD devices and all test kits must obtain Form MD 15 prior to importation.
Required elements of the registration application include:
- Proof of reference country approval
- ISO 13485 certification of the manufacturing facility
- Full technical details as per the prescribed requirements of the device master file.
Further, performance evaluation reports from the National Institute of Biologicals (NIB) are required for IVD devices and test kits related to:
- Blood Grouping Reagent
- Blood Glucose Test Reagent
- ToRCH (Toxoplasma gondii, Rubella virus, Cytomegalovirus, Herpes simplex virus)
- Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus
- Entero Virus
- Marker for congenital disorder e.g. Screen test for Down Syndrome
- Sexually transmitted agent i.e. Treponema pallidum. Neisseria gonorrhoeae, Human Papilloma Virus, Herpes Virus
- Other life threatening infections/agents
Performance evaluation reports must be conducted by a local National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories (NABL) accredited laboratory.
The CDSCO processing fees vary by risk classification as per the table below. Processing times are expected to take 6 to 9 months. Successful applicants will be issued an Import License (aka MD Form 15) which is valid for perpetuity, with retention fees due every five years.
|Classification Type||Plant Master File||Device Master File|
|Class A IVD||US$1,000||US$ 10|
|Class B IVD||US$ 1,000||US$10|
|Class C IVD||US$ 3,000||US$ 500|
|Class D IVD||US$ 3,000||US$ 500|
Asia Actual can manage and submit Import License applications and local performance testing to ensure the efficient, timely and secure issuance of certificates. Contact Asia Actual about registering IVD devices in India.
India Regulatory Support
US: +1 512 898-9222
Latest Market Updates
- India Postpones Registration Requirements for Certain Medical DevicesNovember 18, 2021 - 10:19 am
- India Temporarily Suspends Compulsory Medical Device RegistrationsOctober 5, 2021 - 12:51 pm
- India to Require All Medical Devices be Registered Before ImportationSeptember 23, 2021 - 10:02 am
- India’s Public Hospitals Advised to Purchase Local ProductsJune 15, 2021 - 3:26 pm
- India Announces New Notified Medical Devices Now Requiring Import LicensesJune 14, 2021 - 4:06 pm