US: +1 512 898-9222
SG: +65 3138-4148
Thailand Medical Device Classification
Medical devices are classified in Thailand according to the intended use, level of risk, delivery method, and the degree of invasiveness in the human body.
Devices are classified into one of the following, from lowest to highest risk:
- Class 1
- Class 2
- Class 3
- Class 4
While classification rules closely align with the ASEAN MDD guidance, the Thai FDA has also included specific rules for each registration route.
IVD Classification Rules
IVDs in Thailand are classified into 4 categories (1 through 4) based on risk and closely follow ASEAN MDD guidance. Guidance for classifying products according to Annex 2 of the ASEAN MDD but additional guidance and Thai specific rules can be found below (English translation to come soon).
Factors affecting the risk include:
- Purpose of use and indications
- Expertise of the medical device user
- Importance and Impact of the Medical Device Information on Individuals and Public Health.
Examples of 2 and 3 products eligible for the Notification Route include:
- Fertility Tests
- Blood Type Testing
- STD Tests (e.g. chlamydia or gonorrhea)
- Prenatal Tests (e.g. rubella, toxoplasmosis, spina bifida or down syndrome)
- Infectious disease tests that influence life threatening treatment decisions (e.g. enteroviruses, CMV, Herpes simplex virus (HSV) in organ transplant patients)
- Blood glucose monitoring
Examples of Class 4 products requiring registration through Licensing include:
- COVID-19 Tests
- DC Tests
|Guidance Document Name||Purpose||Link|
|Ministerial Regulations, Medical Device Products required Listing Approval||Outlines classification criteria for a Class 1, Listing category.||Thai|
|Ministerial Regulations, Medical Device Products required Notification Approval||Outlines classification criteria for a Class 2 or 3, Notification category.||Thai|
|Ministerial Regulations, Medical Device Products required License Approval||Outlines classification criteria for a Class 4, Licensing category.||Thai|
Thailand Regulatory Support
Latest Market Updates
US: +1 512 898-9222